21 Nov How to Find the Right Apartment Mate for a 2 Bedroom Apartment in Kamloops
If you currently live in a 2 bedroom rental apartment in Kamloops and are considering finding an apartment mate to share rental costs, then this article is for you! Sharing your living space, and the cost of rent, utilities, and food can save you a lot of money. Provided you find the right person, sharing can also lead to lasting friendships. Sharing an apartment isn’t for everyone, though. If you’re an introvert who values “me time” alone, you may find that sharing cramps your style or is awkward, even frustrating. However, if you are somewhat social, value different personalities and are flexible, sharing your apartment is rewarding in many ways.
A 2 Bedroom Apartment is Ideal for Sharing
While some people consider sharing smaller apartments (e.g., a 1 bedroom plus den), we don’t recommend doing so. A 2 bedroom apartment rental provides each tenant their own room for privacy and enough shared living space to facilitate a no-hassle experience.
Where to Find and Apartment Mate
While you can find an apartment mate by browsing the Kamloops Craigslist “Housing Wanted” category (or other online classifieds), a referral from friends or family is typically a better option, because they’ll likely only refer someone they trust. We recommend reaching out to friends and family on Facebook before posting a want-ad on Craigslist.
Questions to Ask Apartment Mate Candidates
Whether a potential apartment mate lead comes from friends, family or other source, interviewing candidates in person is recommended. Meet at a local coffee shop and don’t be afraid to ask questions. While asking questions may feel uncomfortable, doing so will help to screen out people that are unsuitable.
The following questions are designed specifically to help determine if there are any “red flags”:
- Why do you want to share an apartment?
- Why are you leaving your current living arrangement?
- How much do you pay for rent now?
- Can you afford to pay your half of the rent?
- Are you an introvert or extrovert?
- What does “respecting an apartment mate” mean to you?
- How do you think we should handle rent payments and utility costs?
- How do you think we should share chores?
- Do you care about cleaning? How often do you clean your apartment now?
- Would you like to share the cost of food?
- What are your work hours?
- What time do you usually go to bed and get up?
- What do you like to do on weekends?
- Do you stay up and/or go out late?
- Do you smoke in your current place?
- How often do you drink or smoke cannabis?
- Do you expect many visitors?
- Do you have a partner and how often will they stay over?
2 Bedroom Apartments for Rent at McGill Ridge
McGill Ridge Apartments offers modern 2 bedroom rental apartments in Kamloops southwest business district. Our buildings are only steps from TRU and our neighbourhood has many amenities and easy access to the rest of the city. If you’re interested in renting a 2 bedroom with us, view 2 bedroom apartment floor plans and pricing and request apartment availability. We’ll contact you about availability and advise you of next steps.